As early as 1973/74 when I was attending the Jesus Saves Mission in Kuala Lumpur I heard amazing news.

I heard from early batch of SOMers that some traveled to Malaysia by faith with no money just as the Apostles did

“7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;

And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:

But be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.1 (Mark 6: 7 – 9)

This was unheard of. I only read about the faith of George Mueller. But that was in the 19th Century.

But hearing their glowing testimonies how they went forth with no money. But Almighty God supplied all their needs & for some they went out with no money but returned with some money!

In Year 1974 there was a Christian Camp held on Penang Island. The speaker was missionary Dr. John C. Mincy, graduate of Bob Jones University.

After the Christian Camp I had Rm40. And I bought Rm39 worth of books from the Baptist Book Store in Pulau Tikus. To be given to KL JSM Library.

Then I took a ferry across Penang Island to Butterworth. The ferry fare was 35 sen out of my last 40 sen. So I only have 5 sen left.

There is no going back now. And in front of me lies 300 km.

Map from Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

346.1 Km is the distance between Butterworth to K.L.

I told God, “If you want me to serve You then please touch people to give me lifts as I hitchhike to KL”. Do not let me be stranded anywhere but bring me safe to my home in KL, 300 km away”

And so at the age of 18 without fares in my pocket with 300 km ahead I hitchhiked. It was an eventful journey. 2 motor bikes, 4 cars and one lorry

God provided 7 different types of transport

As the journey began I got a car bringing me to the next nearest town. I was glad for anyone who will respond. After dropping me I hike again and got a bike. Then another car for a considerable distance. But like what George Whitefield said that he cannot neglect to talk to any fellow traveller in the coach for only 20 minutes & must give out the gospel.

So I preached the gospel. The subject of sin, death, Jesus dying for their sins and to repent on the spot is just too much they could take.

One being offended aborted my trip & dropped me off at no man’s land.

Picking up my courage I thumbed again. Another motor bike picked me up. On the bike the rider could hardly hear me so no offensive gospel. The journey reached another town. Then I got into another car. And at the offense of the gospel the incensed driver suddenly stopped the car. Told me he is going elsewhere instead. So he told me to get off before reaching the intended town.

“Why God?” I questioned, “How come I got off before the intended destination” Why?” God said, “Be ye wise as serpent but harmless as dove”

If you know just don’t be pushy. Let them hear the gospel message without being overbearing. “Ok God” now I continued with a more pleasant journey

So Butterworth, Sungai Jawi, Nibong Tebal, Bagan Serai, Taiping, Kampar & finally I arrived in Ipoh (about half the journey)

As I walked south of Ipoh City towards the Highway for KL the sun is already past noonday but still blazing hot. Looking at my watch it was already 3pm in the afternoon.

Jalan Cm Yussuf Roundabout | Ipoh Echo

A water fountain at Ipoh Roundabout (Ipoh, Capital of Perak,  is about half way between Butterworth & KL)

With sweat on my brow I took a sip of water from the water fountain at a roundabout. Too weary now to hold up my right hand.

So I held up my left hand with the support of my right hand and watched the cars sped by.

After 20 minutes a lorry stopped.

“Where are you headed”, he asked. “To KL”, I replied.

Hop in. And so my last and final trip to KL

Now I wanted to preach the gospel but again I was apprehensive less he get offended and drop me in Bidor or Rawang or anywhere along the road?

Then I saw him dozing off at the wheel & the lorry veered to the right at the on coming traffic.

I immediately spoke to him in a raised voice. He wakened up in time and swerved back to the left. This continued a few more times to my horror. Till he got fully awake and responsive to the gospel.

At Bidor we stopped. He drove into a farm. Collected bags of tapioca flour. I was glad to help out. Then it was afternoon tea time. And he treated me to tea & pows (Chinese type buns). See God provided my food

Arriving near KL night has fallen.

He is going to Sungai Besi.

He has to pass by Loke Yew Road. How I thanked Almighty God

He could have dropped me anywhere along Kepong, Sentul, Gombak, Damansara or Cheras.

I only have 5 sen left. No money to take taxi or even bus. And to hitchhike in KL City at night is unthinkable.

Having thanked the lorry driver I alighted at the Block of Flats in Loke Yew Road nearest my home in Jalan Kenanga. A 3 minutes short walk brought me safely home just after 7pm. Just in time for dinner!

Comments Off on A STEP IN FAITH (1974)

Filed under Uncategorized

Comments are closed.